Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Wedding Mania!

This year can absolutely be called the year of weddings and babies! While three of my family members are pregnant, One of my closet primary school friends got married in April, then my cousin got married in August, then two of my other friends got engaged AND my other cousin who i am very close with (who got engaged two years ago) is getting married in October in which i have been asked to be the maid of honour! Now it is indeed an honour to be asked, but ill tell you the truth that i have no freaking clue what this means and ive been fudging my way through learning about all these wedding 'rules' along the way. As you have probably been able to tell im not your 'follow the rules' kind of girl so for me a wedding, if it were ever to happen between me and the partner would be something pretty low key, symbolic, earthy and lets face it- cheap! My cousin however is slightly more traditional which i love because it means that i can be a part of a wedding that i always thought i would have because thats what my family would expect, without it actually being mine- i just didnt realise what it all involved so hopefully i can meet these expectations that come with the title of maid of honour- particularly because im in a bridal party with girls that have been bridesmaids before and actually know what to do.

I am lucky too because my cousin is no Bridezilla and she has been really accommodating of my lack of knowledge in the area of traditional weddings (and lack of funds), but saturday was a big test for me because i had to put on the Kitchen Tea/Bridal Shower in which we had a theme of Red and White (the colour scheme for the wedding) and around 50 women to feed and entertain- i wont say i wasnt freaking out just a little. So i stayed up all thursday night sewing together some red aprons for us (bridal party) to wear and look 'the part', and then spent all day friday with my aunty making over 50 decorated cupcakes to feed the masses- although my aunty, being Italian and all didnt hold back putting on a feast particularly when it came to desserts. And im glad to say that my hard work paid off because Saturday went smoothly, begining with a small candle ceremony to begin the day, games like Pin the Veil on the Bride, make a dress out of toilet paper, and match the famous couple, we ate till be couldnt fit anymore and chatted until we went horse, but best of all i made the Bride proud and she had a great day! phew!

Next week is the hens night so I'll have to see how my hippie, feminist self holds up with topless waiters, penis straws and strippers but as long as my cousin has a great night I can hold my views to myself for one night. Am looking forward to doing a post-wedding post about the two years that have led to this wedding and the preparations, because it has certainly opened my eyes to modern weddings and ive been able to think more openly about what both weddings and marriage actually mean to me- but thats for a later post (if i ever get enough time)

No comments:

Post a Comment