Thursday, June 24, 2010

a bit of this and that

I have just come back from a week away in Byron Bay which was amazing and of which I will blog about in a later post (when ive uploaded the photos) and I've been thinking alot about some things that i want to blog about, but for tonight, as a bit or procrastination from exam study i thought that i had better write a little something about myself. I guess i can start with the the point that i feel that one of my strongest points is that i am a very passionate person- if im not passionate i wont do it. Im passionate about what i do, who i love, what i eat, where and how i live, the world around me, social issues, and everything in between. This passion leads me to a state of being that makes me satisfied with who i am and the life i am leading, but can also lead to quite down days too as my 'quixotic'/idealism and hope in the world is eroded by the human nature and the injustice that life brings. But i strive nonetheless for a life that i (and those around me) can be happy with, knowing that i have done everything i possibly can to make this happen- letting everyone know about my latest crusade or passion (hence the birth of this blog)!

So my parents are of European descent, my mum being one of 5 children from Italian parents. She, and most of her family are teachers and are an amazing rowdy group full of laughter and noise when we get together. We still go to 'nonna and nonno's' house for big Italian feasts including homemade pasta, bread and tomato sauce, and im so grateful to have grown up in this environment which has given me my first real sense of 'community,' the importance of family- and of food! Although no-one seems to believe me that i am Italian, i mean with my pale white skin and bright red hair how could they not haha. My dad has a complex history originating in Austria and Hungary, and while im close with my distant uncle and his family, my grandparents on that side died when i was quite young. My parents own a farm and produce yummy Dukkah and organic olive oil.

I have a younger brother who makes me laugh like no other. We get along really well (most of the time), but have always been called chalk and cheese, we dont even look like we could be related and our personalities reflect this distinct difference. We fit the mold of how birth order affect us exactly (if you have ever read "why first borns want to rule the world, and last borns want to change it" by Michael Grose you'll understand, and if not you should definitely get a copy!)

I went to private school my whole life, and never fit in. I always had friends and always did well, but school just never fit. I changed high schools three times and was glad for the freedom to be able to do that, but school just didnt really suit me. I always loved to learn (hence why i havnt been able to leave uni) but the strict constrains of school, particularly adding in the constant religious blackmail  and rich yuppie peers of private school that always had values and priorities in life so vastly different from my own left me frustrated and restricted. I wanted to save the world from poverty, not add to its collapse with a $1000 formal dress or BMW. But at least at the school i chose i was able to meet some great people, i was able to do really well academically to enable me university entrance and i did have alot of support.

I met ThePartner in year 12 and we have never looked back. We have been able to grow and learn together from our late teens to now and its been great all the way. We have the same passions (except maybe for team sport) and goals for the future and we want the same things from life which makes living a whole lot more fun when you can share it.

I have graduated from a Bachelor of Behavioural Science, Psychology, i am 3/4 through a Masters in Social Work, and am half way through my first year Midwifery- (more about my life as a student and lots on midwifery and birth to come). I have worked as a receptionist, an oil and dukkah sales person for my parents, a Faerie for childrens parties, a babysitter/childcarer, a bookshop sales assistant, and now in an organic baby store. I love to dress up and will use any opportunity to do so- Adelaide Zombie walk being one of my favourites! I love to sew and paint, and my fav colour is GREEN. We own two VWs- one beetle and one kombi that are my babies. My fav place is lying under a tree in a hammock under the sunshine and i love to travel, particularly to places where i can become involved in and learn about the culture from a ground level. My favourite places so far are the Great Ocean Road Vic, the surrounding areas of the Byron Bay Shire, NSW and Vorovoro Island in Fiji (a post about why everyone should go there will come)- all places that have included a hammock or two. I love the idea of living in a community and the purpose of this blog will be like a diary i suppose to document the ways in which im trying to accomplish a happy, more sustainable, ethical and simple life while continuously learning all sorts of new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment